Thales’ established presence in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) has lasted for over forty-five years. The Group presently employs seven-hundred people in the country and provides its customers with advanced solutions in defence, security, aerospace, transportation and space.The Group has built a mature relationship with the Kingdom through solid, country-wide partnerships. This has allowed Thales to expand its footprint at a local level and to be able to meet ever-evolving customer demands.
The Al-Masjid al-Haram mosque in Mecca, a world-renowned Holy site, is secured by Thales integrated systems (credit – afby71)
A presence for over
employees to date
Thales strategy in Saudi Arabia is in full line with Vision 2030. Since the early beginning Thales set up and continuously develops its local footprint through a diversified approach, developing industrial partnerships throughout the country in all the group domains. Thales is supporting Vision 2030, the Country roadmap to develop the Kingdom in the next 15 coming years :
- Over the past few decades, Thales has established solid foundations for effective cooperation with local industries, thus increasing Thales’ presence in Saudi Arabia. This has been achieved through the transfer of technology, offering technical expertise and assistance to companies like Advanced Electronics Company (AEC), Al Salam, and others.
- As a pioneer in localisation in the country, Thales’ strategy is to accelerate the saudisation through transfers of technology and local production.
- Thales has strengthened its cooperation with King Abdulaziz City for Sciences & Technology (KACST) and Taqnia in order to develop and set joint programmes related to the Group’s activities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- In 2010, Thales signed a collaboration agreement with King Saudi University (King Abdullah Institute for Nanotechnology) for joint research programmes.
- The Group is a co-founder and board member of Al Faysal University. Today, Thales is developing cooperation agreements with Princess Nora University, Al Yamamah University, KFUPM University and other technical colleges.
Space in Saudi ArabiaAs the Group’s space-related activities remain largely Eurocentric, Thales’ space influence in the Middle East is comparatively subdued.
Aerospace in Saudi ArabiaThis sector exhibits Thales as a market leader in the fields of avionics and air traffic management systems, outlining the Group’s capacity to provide a comprehensive end-to-end response to the challenges of air transport.
Defence in Saudi ArabiaIn Defence, Thales has been selected to supply major electronic air defence and protection systems by the Minister of Defence (MoD).
Security in Saudi ArabiaThales is highly active in the Arabian security sector, with a deep influence in the protection of critical infrastructure including Mecca’s & Madinah’s mosques, oil refineries and petro-chemical sites.
Transportation in Saudi ArabiaThales is a world leader in electronics and security systems, building on its expertise to provide solutions that set the standard in the transportation industry.