The French defence procurement agency (DGA) has appointed Thales as prime contractor for the ground segment of the Syracuse III military satellite communication system. The system will provide end-to-end communication services between mainland France and out-of-area theatres of operations and offer Internet services in the battlespace. Syracuse III will provide French forces with the interoperability and security required for out-of-area deployments by joint multinational forces.
- Includes satcom terminals for VAB armoured personnel carriers and new- generation tactical manpack terminals for infantry units
- Also comprises terminals designed for surface vessels and submarines, as well as high-speed and very high-speed ground terminals
- Full connectivity with the other networks operated by the French armed forces, including Socrate, Matilde, MTBA, RITA and RIFAN (for which Thales is also acting as prime contractor)
- Syracuse III delivers end-to-end communication services between mainland France and remote theatres of operations
- Syracuse III plays a key role in future network-centric capabilities, which will enable forces in the field to exchange intelligence, decision-support and weapon system information and achieve information superiority in the digitisedbattlespace